Monday, August 10, 2015

The Gift of Music


Around a year ago, my sister, Jessica, gave me a fun guitar pick maker.  The idea is simple. You recycle old gift cards into guitar picks. I must admit, I didn’t even give it a try for a couple of weeks.  I mean, come on… would a professional guitarist really use something like this?  Well the short answer, it seems, is yes.  I found myself at a gig awhile back with a back up guitar that I do not generally use for live performances.  Normally, I keep everything stocked and accounted for in my live set up before heading off to a show.  However, in this case, I arrived at the gig to find that the only guitar pick I had on hand was the homemade one I had in my pants pocket (which I had brought along with me to show a friend). What I discovered was truly unexpected.  I actually liked the feel and performance of the pick better than the Jim Dunlop nylon picks I had been using for decades. Surprise, surprise. So, on that note, I began making my own personalized picks out of discarded or used Starbucks, Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf, assorted restaurant, and club cards. What I have found especially fun, besides that I like the way they play better, is that I have been able to start giving used performance picks back to the people who gave me the gift cards in the first place! It has made immediate connection opportunities, and from what I have been told, lasting memories of performances and recordings to those of you who enjoy and support my music making. Thanks again Jessica, and thanks to all of you who still like to listen.
All the best,
Chris





1 comment:

Jenni said...

I love that you take a gift for yourself and turn it into a gift for others. You are truly one of a kind. I am incredibly blessed to know you and love you.