Monday, February 25, 2013

Forgotten, But No Longer Forgotten

I was catching up with my great friend Tim Fullerton recently who reminded me that it has been 10 years since I started recording the "Love, Hope, Faith" CD. This particular CD is very significant to me on many personal levels. Among other things, it was the first true release since my band 541 Baseline called it a day. I fondly remember having the opportunity to work with producer Mark Schulman (best known as the drummer for Cher, Foreigner, and Pink), guitar legend Laurence Juber (the undisputed king of DADGAD tuning and former Paul McCartney and Wings guitarist), and consummate bassist Timothy Gaines of Stryper. And sadly, I will always remember how the first pressing of the disk arrived on the day that we buried my grandpa Graf. It was a crazy, turned upside down time full of fresh ideas, unclear direction, and emotional upheaval... Well, as Tim and I were talking it started me thinking about some of the tracks that did not make the final cut for the "Love, Hope, Faith" release. Specifically, two songs I wrote with Anna Nalick of "Breathe (2 A.M.)" fame. We had been working together in a couple of music projects. One was a rock outfit. We called ourselves Estrogen Rush (because the band had been rehearsing a bunch of songs by the band Rush while auditioning female lead singers for an originals project). That singer turned out to be Anna. The other was a series of acoustic songs in what would become the contemplative quiet style she is best known for. Let me tell you, she was fantastic in both formats. I wonder if she missed singing hard rock while touring the world as a singer / songwriter. Anyway, I had not thought about or listened to either of those tracks in years. Although I am not going to share them with you here today, know that they are out there... waiting to be revisited. For now, I will leave you with some of the music that did get released from what was a very, very eclectic time. All the best,
Chris
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/chrisburgan

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Christopher:
I am so very sorry to hear about your grandfather 'Graf'. I am getting old now too but, it was 1983-84 & my Army Buddy dated Robbie in Glendora and it was then I met your wonderful family. If memory serves me it was a nice green colored house in Glendora with a Garage where we had BBQ's, Sang and I played Harmonica for your granddad. He was so darn KIND to me it brings tears even now. We went to Baptist Church that weekend and he 'Helped Me Find something inside myself, pointing to Psalms 46:10. He saw my Army days were just too close to the vest! I still read Psalms. We all went to Orange County too. Maybe your family out there? They too LOVED Music and asked me to play my Harmonica. Graf loved it when I played Harmonica. Lovely Family Chris. Such great memories. Bless you all. Graf RIP Sir....Thank you!